Tuesday, January 1, 2008

WOODEN TRAINS - Follow the leader

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A few days ago, all I really wanted was to stay put at home. It gnawed at me, and gnawed at me - go to the second hand store. We had some things to return, but I didn't want to do that either. Okay, Crystal will go. I'll take Samuel somewhere - to the second hand store. He was having a difficult day. He deals with autism. He is 8 years old.
Over came my little grandson. After all, I should look for some used gear to go to the snow next month, I said. Fine, we'll look for a small electric train like my Christmas one, I agreed.
Upon arriving to the store, we checked quickly the snow boots - none. Opposite side of the place is the toys section. Wait Samuel, we have to stop by the cards and such because I need some for crafts. None.
Now, the toys. Okay.
There it was - 3 big clear plastic bags with wooden tracks and trains !!! Do you know how long I have wanted to get more tracks for my house? And I've been looking. A loooong time ! You see, Samuel loves to play with trains, actually it is a passion, a very real world to him. He can spend hours in it.
We started with one set 2 years ago, and last summer I found a large set with lots of tracks and some trains. But we always run out when we set it up. And I wanted to have lots of track to make lots of turns and underpasses and overpasses and all that good stuff. WOW !!! We scored !!! All the pieces were brand new, and cost me less than the last set I bought. One more stop on the way home to by a new storage tote with lid. We settled on one for ornaments, on sale - and just disposed of the cardboard inserts. It all barely fits in it.
Samuel was beaming as we started the set up. We decided to use all the pieces - and we did. He made a circle - close to the "town" for the train museum and 2 strait tracks for "repairs". The set-up stretched over 12 feet !
So what is so special about all this wooden tracks and trains? Well, I didn't want to go - I didn't really need anything - but I could not ignore the gentle prodding to "go anyway". See I've felt this many times before. But never for toys, not a few days after Christmas!
I love "follow the Leader" living !!! Thank you Lord !!!

9 comments:

Carol Connell said...

How neat that Samuel was blessed because of your obedience to that "gentle prodding." May you have a wonderful and blessed 2008!

Carol

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Thank you Carol for the "gentle prodding" :)

Samuel used his blessing today. We went to Sam's Western Wear in Riverside to exchange his boots and then to my work for a couple of hours. He was a hit and his red boots too!

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Attention aux excès de vitesse !

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Et oui! Les animaux attraperaient le mal de mer!
Ce n'est pas comme en Allemagne sur les "autobahn", je crois qu'il n'y a pas de limite. C'est vrai?

Jana Allard said...

Catherine - when you have a chance, visit my husband's blog and leave a comment in French. He is fluent in French.
www.brianallard.blogspot.com

Mark Pryor said...

Great post. As I often say, God has more than one way to bless us. BTW tell Samuel that I said I like red boots. :-)

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Sis Allard,
I do visit and comment on your husband's blog. I don't know why I didn't think of doing it in French!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Pastor.
When it comes to red, Samuel is the man! He gets red shoes every year for his birthday too. They are one little once!

Jana Allard said...

Catherine - Brian told me, "Hey, I got a comment in French." I know he really enjoyed it. He doesn't get to use his French much.

BTW, my kids always had red shoes or red boots. You are right, they are only little once.

Anonymous said...

Catherine, what a beautiful and heart-touching post. I loved it! Thanks. God bless you!
Tena