Friday, September 7, 2007

BLUE PEOPLE - The color of God


These "Blue People", are officially called Tuaregs. You will find them on their camels, traveling in the Sahara. They are a great semi-nomadic people, their ware is light, their food frugal, their culture ancient. They are unique from other nomadic tribes living in the world's largest desert (over 3 millions square miles), and best know for their salt trading caravans and goat herding.
They often refer to themselves as "The People Of The Veil". The men are the ones who wear it at all times. It does not come off, not even among family members. To dye the cotton from which these veils are made, they use natural dyes. A lot of blue - indigo blue. After a time of wearing such apparel, the skin takes on a blue tint, thus the surname "Blue People" given to them.

So were the Tuaregs.

Growing up, I was fascinated by their simple lifestyle, their dignity, and mostly by that unmistakable skin color. I thought it was pretty neat in the 20th century, and it wasn't somewhere in the jungle, but right in our backyard so to speak, one could actually meet them in an oasis.

Modern day ways, technology, conflicts, wars, restricted traveling rights, global warming and other factors have contributed to the decline of this great people. Some make a living as tour guides for western tourists, speak to them of their history. Others have turn to oil and gas operations promising to be more lucrative than any trading. You might say it was inevitable, times have changed, they needed to adjust... It's too bad, I find it kind of sad.


God's people have always been separated, it's in the Word. We are a peculiar people, a holy people.

Today, living for Jesus, we ought to have a certain unmistakable "tint". This world is a desert and we are the nomads. Do they know who we are by our "tint"? God's presence must emanate from us as we encounter people in the world. Immediately, they must know that something is different. I want God's spirit to permeate every aspect of my life and to be saturated by the Holy Ghost. We live and interact in the world and it's colors, but God's color will stay if we are "dyed" thru and thru. I want to be "true blue" for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post, I pray that when people see me that the can see the Jesus in me. One thing that has always stuck in my mind is that we might be the only Jesus that some might know. I pray that is not true but if so let his love flow through me.

Crystal Newvine said...

Mom, this reminds me of the shirt I bought Don-Andre one year for Christmas and whenever he would wear it he would turn blue. We called it his " Smurf " shirt.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Sister you are right. That's what it's all about, letting the love of God flow freely. Less of me and more of Him.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Crystal
Another good memory!
I'm glad you reminded me of that shirt. You were so happy to get it for him and he loved it too!
How long ago was that?...many moons ago.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Hello Cheyne and welcome to my blog.
I hope that you will visit again here or in "My Other Connection" and find a little substance. Have a great day.